Manila Vanilla

What it's like to be a U.S. Fulbright scholar, basketball player, journalist, and the whitest man in Metro Manila.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

New Yorker by birth, shipped across the globe to the world of malls, shanty-towns, patronage, corruption, basketball and a curious burnt-toast smell that wafts around at dusk

Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Collison Encounter

A few weeks ago I wrote a short piece for Seattle Weekly's basketball blog, which later made it into the front of the print product. It's about my Basket List -- the roster of professional or otherwise noteworthy ballers who I've played with or against over the years -- and the day that Seattle Supersonic Nick Collison showed up at a pick-up game and landed on my list. Of course, if I had included all the well-known basketball figures in Philippine basketball I've had the good fortune to play with, my list would be five times longer. The only problem there is that no one outside of the Philippines will be impressed when I boast, "I played with Alvin Patrimonio!"

Here's a link to the Seattle Weekly Basket List blog. Enjoy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's a good one. My noteworthy playtime was against Dick Barnett (Knick 1970 Champions team)--around 1975 in the gym on 14th Street & 1st.AVe. I guarded him the whole game, stayed with him because he let me, but scored when he wanted. Silky smooth & quick. If you ever see the old tapes, he was like Monroe, only a bit taller.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home