Manila Vanilla

What it's like to be a U.S. Fulbright scholar, basketball player, journalist, and the whitest man in Metro Manila.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

New Yorker by birth, shipped across the globe to the world of malls, shanty-towns, patronage, corruption, basketball and a curious burnt-toast smell that wafts around at dusk

Friday, February 15, 2008

Blowing myself up



I'll soon be back in Manila, so it's time to start blogging again. Let's warm up with this modest horn-tooter. My March 2006 story in the Chicago Reader, Have Game, Will Travel, was selected in the honorable mention section of the 2007 edition of The Best American Sports Writing. I discovered this while leafing through the book in the Union Square Barnes and Noble. Of course, this is a huge honor. I'm also encouraged by the fact that this story, written only a couple months after I arrived in the Philippines, isn't my best work. After two years of living in the Philippines, I've been able to pull from a broader understanding of local culture and basketball's role in it, and my writing has improved. Hopefully, it means bigger accomplishments will follow.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for a new post. You're a stud...and I actually have that book. I'm really pumped now.

Are you home?

9:38 PM  
Blogger nwt said...

Congrats, Rafe, that's awesome.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow! IDOL kita! hehe

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

super job, chief. You're giving the Village streets some real cred.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kyrie 6 shoes
giannis antetokounmpo shoes
supreme t shirt
yeezy 700
curry 6
yeezy boost 350
golden goose sale
golden goose outlet
yeezy boost 700
yeezy

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home