Manila Vanilla

What it's like to be a U.S. Fulbright scholar, basketball player, journalist, and the whitest man in Metro Manila.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

New Yorker by birth, shipped across the globe to the world of malls, shanty-towns, patronage, corruption, basketball and a curious burnt-toast smell that wafts around at dusk

Monday, February 12, 2007

Great Texts, Vol. 2

Wow. I feel extremely fortunate. Great texts are a rare thing, but just a day after I put up the inaugural "Great Texts" post, I got another fabulous text. And I say "fabulous" for a reason.

This comes from my agent, Clyde Babao, of Icon International Modeling Agency. I'm going to glaze over just how ridiculous that statement is, and I'd appreciate it if my readers, whoever they are, would do the same. Clyde set me up for a foreign beer commercial, for some brand called Encar. I'm an extra, but the money is pretty good and really easy. Besides, who could say no to being on television, even if it's in Tajikistan or the autonomous region of Nagorno-Karabakh, or wherever this beer is sold. (Companies from Europe and elsewhere in Asia film commercials in the Philippines because it's cheaper than doing it on native soil. Chumps like me, who will "work" for $140 a day or less, enable this.)

So here's Clyde's text, telling me what kind of clothes I need to bring to the shoot: "For rafael. Bring party outfit, fabulous outfit. all light or white or silver color. Pls txt bk. Call time for shoot to follow."

This is one Little Rascal that Bill Cosby can't stop you from seeing.


Hmm. A fabulous, silver party outfit. That's tough. I left all my Hammer pants in New York. Ditto for my white seersuckers. And when I go out partying, the look I go for is not shiny and fabulous. It's more -- dare I say it? -- heterosexual. So what's Clyde gonna get? A pair of jeans and a white, knock-off Hollister polo shirt with horizontal brown stripes. I bought it at Greenhills for $3, and the label says Hollinger, and to me, that's fabulous. I'll also be rolling in there with a Little Rascals-style black eye, which I picked up from an errant elbow in a basketball game a few nights ago. Totally fab.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

This is where a fabulous Perry Ellis pink and white party sweater would come in handy! Good to see that Pat's photo prediction of your modelling talent has been proven...

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

an errant elbow??? or an elbow from some mean, malicious chinese guy? :P
-k-

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice shiner. I had a chick give me one of those when I wasn't looking. Go figure.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's run Timmy Hardaway into Manila to work on some of these commercials. He'll be going off
on the boys as they dress him up in some pink tutu and ask him to dunk in it with a can of Encar beer as his reward! Hell, we can try to get Rodman in at the same time, they could to Club Habana and you Fulbright filmtypes could shoot a little Indie film on the boys doing their hetero thing.
Sounds promising, no?

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you the same Johnnie Thwacker who was arrested for "public wanking" --a la Pee Wee Herman--
last October in that trailer camp chapel outside of Salt Lake City?
Man, you could get a modeling job with that name!!!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog by accident while searching for old Filipino movies (lol! relevance unknown) and thought your posts are pretty funny. My family being from the Philippines but growing up in America and visiting for the first time over this past Christmas, I totally sympathize with the "newness" and culture shock of it all. so keep blogging! They're quite entertaining. Have you found the faux Old Navy shirts yet at Greenhills? They're like Hanes t-shirts.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume that this is your agent:


http://www.friendster.com/user.php?uid=10264225


Absolutely fabolous!

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home