Manila Vanilla

What it's like to be a U.S. Fulbright scholar, basketball player, journalist, and the whitest man in Metro Manila.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

New Yorker by birth, shipped across the globe to the world of malls, shanty-towns, patronage, corruption, basketball and a curious burnt-toast smell that wafts around at dusk

Monday, May 15, 2006

More Ink

This photo ran with the article in the Daily News. I'm in Donsol, Sorsogon with some kids after I taught them some dribbling drills. The girl with the ball was a very fast learner. Photo by Lubna Ali.


I'm just an E-mail away from appearing on Oprah. Here I am feeling overexposed already; imagine what things must have been like for Vanilla Ice. It's good to get love in my hometown paper, though, especially when my hometown is New York. So without further ado, here is the New York Daily News short feature on me and my research.

Bouncing his way to the Philippines
By Caitlin Kelly

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, M.V. I knew you were onto something, but I didn't know the media knew you were onto something.
Good press for you & the research.
The colonial origin of basketball is obvious--but WHY has it replaced soccer here, in the Philippines? Only because of the American presence for so many years? Is there another 3rd world country to compare it with?
The photo is really good. Is the photographer a professional? The background is almost designed.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the page in the link is already missing. it loads to the current page of nytimes. do you know how we can read it? im kinda curious. :)

interesting and funny blog you have here. i've tried to read all of your entries.seems like you have been "filipinized" in just 3 years (tama ba?). i can't believe you have the patience the to use the mrt and jeepneys from katipunan, to mall of asia to cubao, to trinoma, and back to katipunan (the one from your gilbert arenas entry)! hahaha...
:)

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home